India-China ‘face-off’: 20 Indian soldiers killed in clash along LAC
The Indian Army said on Tuesday that at least 20 soldiers died during the “violent face-off” with Chinese troops along the Line of Actual Control on Monday. Earlier reports had said that three soldiers – including a colonel – had been killed.
“Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on the night of 15/16 June 2020,” a statement by the Indian Army said. “Seventeen Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at the stand off location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries, taking the total that were killed in action to 20.”
The Army added that it is firmly committed to protecting the territorial integrity and sovereignty of India.